In May this year, Australia will commemorate the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of the Coral Sea. Townsville played a major role in this naval battle, which significantly shaped our country’s involvement in World War II.
To highlight the importance of this occasion, Ewen Jones, Member for Herbert, is organising an Essay Competition open to students in Years 9 and 10 attending Townsville high schools.
The essay title is – “The Significance to Australia of the Battle of the Coral Sea in World War II” – and the limit is 1,000 words.
The first prize will be $400 for history resources to the winning student’s school. Additionally, the winning student will receive a $100 book voucher.
The closing date for entries is Wednesday 18 April 2012.
To find out more, contact Ewen’s office on 4725 2066.
Battle of the Coral Sea – Year 9 and 10 Essay Competition 2012
The Essay Competition is open to Year 9 and Year 10 students who are enrolled at Townsville high schools.
1. The Topic is: “The Significance to Australia of the Battle of the Coral Sea in World War II”
The length is 1,000 words or less.
2. Prepare your answer with the following formatting:
– 12 point Times New Roman or Arial font
– PDF or Microsoft Word files only
3. Complete the cover sheet and submit with your essay via:
Post: Reply Paid, PO Box 226, Aitkenvale Qld 4810.
4. The closing date for the competition is Wednesday 18 April, 5pm.
5. First, second and third place winners will be contacted via the contact details provided on the cover sheet in the week commencing Monday 23 April.
6. Winners will be announced on the Ewen Jones website, ewenjones.com.au.
7. Ewen Jones, Member for Herbert, will attend the winning student’s school to present the prizes, certificate.